Groups of hosting services
A hosting service entails keeping and/or sharing given web content on a hosting server handled by a hosting company. There are various categories of hosting services utilized for different purposes, so let's take a glance at them. Doing so, you can decide what you want, based on whether you wish to have a blog, mails, or to share files with friends and acquaintances.
- File hosting: a solution supplied by some web hosts, which enables you to share immense files. These could be disk images, films, audio files, archived files, and so on. This service is also known as file storage, and its only designation is to share files, since it does not offer site uploading. Once the files are uploaded, you will either receive an accidentally created download link for each of them, or you will be able to examine a roster of all the files in a directory, but you will be unable to see .html or .php web site files in your web browser. Free-of-cost file storage solutions are often supported by displaying adverts next to the download links, while a timer obliges you to await a particular amount of time to perceive them. A single file can be downloaded with limited speed. If you purchase a paid file storage package, there are no limitations as to how many files you can upload/download instantly, and also there is no limitation in regard to the download speed or the file size.
These days, with the assistance of the cPanel hosting merchants, "file hosting" is being renamed to the more faddish "cloud hosting". This is a thoroughly erroneous explanation of the literal meaning of "cloud hosting". An actual cloud website hosting system would distribute the tasks at hand between autonomous stacks of web servers in a cluster, which are devoted to serving various webspace hosting services (email, disk space, statistics, DNS, databases, Control Panel, and so on.) So, the file hosting service is merely a type of a data storage hosting service, not a cloud hosting one. It's not even close.
- Image hosting: similar to file hosting; given providers offer a hosting service for images exclusively. This hosting brand is suitable if you wish to share a vast quantity of pictures with chums or partners since the solution is mostly free of charge. You will get a random link for every pic or album and you can then share this link. As with the file storage service, .html and .php files are not supported, so the service cannot be utilized for websites.
- Email hosting: a service dedicated to handling your mails. Some suppliers provide web page hosting services for web pages, but do not provide an e-mail solution. If you desire to run an email address with your domain name but do not want to possess a website, then the email hosting solution is what you require. You can create e-mail box accounts and administer them, but there will be no hosting service for the domains. The e-mail hosting service involves incoming POP/IMAP and outgoing SMTP e-mail servers.
- Video hosting: this solution permits you to upload and share video clips. You can either share a link to a given video, or you can embed the video clip in your web page that is hosted elsewhere. The advantage of availing of this approach instead of uploading the video in a web hosting account is that the video clip creates a certain amount of central processing unit load, so with a bunch of video files and several hundred site viewers, you may have difficulty with your web page hosting resources. Embedding the video clip will enable you to possess as many video clips as you would like without worrying about system quotas.
- Web site hosting: this is the service that you require if you would like to keep a website. To a certain extent, it includes all of the aforesaid hosting variants since, along with your web sites, you can also host images and files, you can set up databases and e-mailbox accounts, upload video files, etc. At Hoststudio, for instance, you can take a glimpse at web hosting and dedicated server hosting services that permit you to have all of the aforementioned services in a single place. There may be limitations depending on the form of hosting solution that you've chosen - a free hosting account, a paid shared hosting package, a VPS or a dedicated server. Based on that, your web page hosting account may be better or worse in comparison with the usual e-mail/file/video/image hosting accounts that are tailored for specific content solely.